Head of Research
- Prior to joining Davy in 2000, Barry worked for Louis Dreyfus Trading in London. After five years in the commodity trading division, he returned to Dublin and completed an MBA at Trinity College.
- Barry graduated with a B. Agr. Sc (Hons) from University College Dublin in 1988.
- In February 1995, he joined Hibernian Investment Managers (a subsidiary of Aviva) as an equity fund manager, where he managed the US and Irish equity funds.
- In 2000, Barry joined Davy Stockbrokers as Technology analyst initially. For the past 15 years, he has covered the international Paper & Packaging sector.
- In 2008 he was appointed Head of Research at Davy.
- In 2009, he was appointed to the board of directors of the parent company, J&E Davy.
CEO/Executive Panel Discussion
Tuesday, 6 March, 2018
The last twelve months have been significant for the European Paper & Packaging industry in many ways. The demand environment has improved particularly for packaging which appears to be driven by both cyclical and structural factors, with the latter including factors such as e-commerce and the shift to more renewable sources of packaging. This has helped pricing across all grades of paper. Raw material costs, particularly recovered paper have been very volatile with Chinese demand playing a big part in this. Non-raw material cost inflation is also starting to become an issue particularly in areas like transport and labour. Four main themes that are emerging will be discussed:
- Growth in the packaging sector – cyclical or structural?
- European pricing dynamics have improved and look set to strengthen further in 2018
- Recovered fibre availability and cost?
- Capacity growth and the potential for further European consolidation