Senior Economist, International Timber
John North joined Fastmarkets RISI in July of 2017 as an economist covering the international timber markets. Prior to Fastmarkets RISI, he spent 6 years on active duty as an officer in the US Marine Corps, serving primarily in the Middle East and West Africa. Afterwards, he held a civilian role with the United Nations in Cote d’Ivoire before returning to graduate school in the US.
John holds a Bachelor of Arts in Modern Languages from The Citadel and a Master of Science in Agricultural Economics from the University of Georgia.
Outlook for the global timber market (focus on hardwood chips & softwood logs)
Session Two - Macroeconomics, market overviews and forecasts for the year ahead
Tuesday, 28 September, 2021 - 12:30
- Diminishing surplus of European beetle-killed softwood logs
- Full Russian ban on log exports expected by 2022
- Who will step in and fill the supply deficit as Chinese demand increases?
- What does the new trade dispute between Australia and China mean for Oceania log exports?
- Will exemptions to quotas and tariffs from US/China Trade War allow the US to become competitive in the market again?
- How will rising Chinese and Japanese demand and constrained supply impact woodchip prices?
- Is there enough fiber from Southeast Asian woodchips to supply the increasing demand?