Vice President, Commercial
Kurt Erik Hjelset is working as Vice President, Commercial, for Saga Welco at the headoffice in Norway, where he is responsible for the day to day performance of business from South America. Kurt Erik has been working in the open-hatch shipping segment for more than three decades. He has been in his current position with Saga Welco since 2014. Prior to this he worked for Westfal-Larsen Shipping and Gearbulk. In his career he has held a number of executive positions within chartering and general management and has been located in Europe, Asia, North America and Middle East. Before joining the commercial side of shipping he served as an officer in the Royal Norwegian Navy. Kurt Erik holds a Bachelor degree in military studies from the Royal Naval Academy in Bergen and an Executive MBA in Shipping and Logistics from Copenhagen Business School. He is married and has two sons.
Managing Aging Fleets: Are Existing Carriers Opening Themselves up to Competition
Tuesday, 17 September, 2019
- Exploring the future building programmes for major traditional carriers
- Whether vessel capacity increases will come from outside of Asia
- How carriers are positioned to capitalised on the 2021/22 pulp production boom
- Coping with increase transportation distances of pulp
- Will freight rates enable carriers to engage in building programmes?
- Assessing the opportunity to seize market share
- The proposition for new carriers in the field such as Cosco
- Is this an open invitation to container carriers to strengthen their position?